Monday 31 January 2011

The Letters




Billy's Letter

We felt that the letter we wrote for Billy to send to Elizabeth was over-exaggerated in the language that we used.  When read aloud, it sounded forced and feminine for a male to read.  We felt that further research into letters written by men of the time would  give us more knowledge of the language used, and the tone of the letters men would send their lover/wife.


"Sweet incomparable Elizabeth, what a strange effect you have on my heart! I look back, and in every one point, every word and gesture, every letter, every silence, you have been entirely perfect to me, I would not change one word, one look. 

God knows I wish you happy, & when I quit you, or rather when you from a sense of duty to your husband & mother quit me, you shall acknowledge the truth of what I again promise & vow, that no other in word or deed shall ever hold the place in my affection which is & shall be most sacred to you, till I am nothing.  

 You know I would with pleasure give up all here & all beyond the grave for you.  I was and am yours, freely & most entirely, to obey, to honour, love & fly with you when, where, & how you yourself might. 

Forever, Your Billy"



Elizabeth's Letter (Won't appear in film)

After writing Billy's letter, I decided to look at letters written by women of the period we are closely researching, and who had especially experienced the same emotions that we want Elizabeth (Devotion) to go through during the film.  I did this to research into true emotions of the period, and to develop the my writing style so that it fits into the genre and period of the film.


"My dearest Billy,  I write to tell you that my brother, Robert,  is at least a little better this morning. We had a long conversation yesterday that has helped him to come to terms with his grief.  He knows that I wish for a divorce.  Yet, he is still reluctant to give us his blessing.

Robert has asked if you will visit us soon. He wishes to meet you, dearest, and he is very much on our side. I know that my brother would stand by us if we chose to leave England together.   If you are certain that you feel able to leave everything behind and seek a new life together please come to me here soon.

Robert has urged me to do what will bring me happiness in life and I believe that I can never be happy without you. However, I could not leave my brother until he is able to cope for himself. I know you have been patient with me and I beg you to remain so until we can take our happiness at last.

Your own Elizabeth"




No comments:

Post a Comment